Summer Academy of Actuarial and Mathematical Sciences
The Summer Academy of Actuarial and Mathematical Sciences (SAAMS) Program is a rigorous academic enrichment program designed to foster excitement among high school students in Mathematics, Actuarial Science and Computer Science. This pipeline program is within in the Department of Mathematics. The goal of the SAAMS program is to help increase the number of students who will enter mathematics and actuarial science fields. SAAMS students are exposed to interdisciplinary approaches to learning and furthering their education.
Students commute to the beautiful campus of the designated national treasure, Morgan State University (Maryland), for 6-weeks and attend Mathematics, Actuarial Science, and Computer Science classes. The non-residential program is Monday - Friday (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) with lunch provided. Applicants are selected through a competitive application and interview process, and applicants who are accepted into the SAAMS Program are rewarded a stipend. Students experience program-related field trips and professional development sessions.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Program dates and application details coming soon!
Average Starting Salaries $100,000* with High Employment Rates
To be considered eligible for the SAAMS program you MUST:
- Be a rising 12th grader
- Be a graduating high school senior
- Be interested in pursuing a Mathematics, Actuarial Science, or Computer Science degree at Morgan State University
- Coursework in Mathematics and Computer Science
- Information on majors and careers in Mathematics, Actuarial Science and Computer Science
- Daily lunch
- A stipend that covers reasonable daily transportation expenses
- Professional development and other enrichment activities
- Program-related field trips
Application Requirements: (Your application will not be processed until all required materials have been received)
- Completed online application, including student essay (PDF form required)
- Two letters of recommendation (detailed instructions available in the online application)
- Official high school transcript (mailed to the SAAMS office)
SAAMS Mailing Address:
Summer Academy of Actuarial and Mathematical Sciences (SAAMS)
Morgan State University
1700 E. Cold Spring Lane
Baltimore, Maryland 21251
Professor Shirley K. Russell
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (443) 885-4961
FAX: (443) 885-8216
PROUDLY SPONSORED BY:
ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? Check out our FAQs page!
* For actuaries and applied mathematicians (The Washington Times)