Scholarship Honors the Memory of Nicole Washington
Tuesday, March 3, 2015
The Baltimore Chapter of the Women's Transportation Seminar (WTS) is offering a scholarship of $1,500 to a female student from Morgan State University in memory of alumna Nicole C. Washington.
Washington, a beloved wife, mother, friend and colleague, lost her battle with breast cancer on Sept. 16, 2013. She served as the Scholarship Chair of the WTS Baltimore Chapter and brought her zeal for life to the "proposed" list of new and exciting fundraisers that were in the works to raise funds for the scholarship program. Her most recent post prior to her untimely death was as Deputy Director of MDOT's Office of Minority Business Enterprise, an achievement that truly "advanced" the position of women in transportation. Before that, she served in a variety of positions during 13 years at the Maryland State Highway Administration and moved through the ranks from an entry-level project engineer to an assistant division chief. Nicole held a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Morgan State University and Master of Business Administration from the University of Baltimore.
Applicants must be:
• A returning student at Morgan State University's Civil Engineering Department and must be enrolled full time (at least 12 hours)
• Studying for an undergraduate degree for the first time
• A United States citizen or a non-citizen who is able to apply for federal student aid
• A permanent resident of Maryland
• Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
• Major in Civil Engineering
• Demonstrate skilled writing ability
• Have an interest in the Transportation Profession
Citizenship, Character and Serious-Mindedness
• Demonstrate a desire to make a meaningful contribution to society both present and future
• Be involved in a balance of community, school and work activities
• Pursue goals and aspirations with integrity, resolution, self-discipline and judgment
• Be willing to volunteer at one (1) WTS event to promote the transportation industry to young women
A completed application package must include the following items:
· A completed WTS Baltimore Chapter Scholarship Application form
· The applicant's resume. Include awards, honors, activities, organizations, work experience etc.
· Current official college transcript (this will serve as proof of enrollment as well as program of study)
· Sealed recommendation letters from two references (current or former professors or employers).
· A personal statement, not to exceed 500 words, that describes the applicant's interest in pursuing a transportation career, outlines current career objectives, and identifies any affiliations and activities related to achieving the goal of a transportation career.
Mail applications postmarked/emailed by April 10, 2015 to Women's Transportation Seminar, Attn: Scholarships, P.O. Box 2351, Baltimore, MD 21203 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The scholarship will be presented the WTS MDOT Reception on April 30, 2015. Lunch will be provided to the recipient. For more information visit the WTS website.