Mission & Vision
The School of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences (SCMNS) is comprised of five departments: Biology (including the Medical Technology Program), Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics (including the Actuarial Science Program) and Physics (including Engineering Physics). The School also offers three Master's degrees: Bioinformatics, Mathematics and Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) and two Ph.D. degrees: Bioenvironmental Science and Industrial & Computational Mathematics.
The mission of the School is to nurture and educate the next generation of scientists, mathematicians and technologists, and to advance the frontiers of science and technology. We endeavor to be a top school of sciences among the nation's Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
The strategic initiatives include:
- To establish a robust infrastructure for effective recruitment, retention and graduation, and reach a 50% graduation rate by 2025 through improved instruction, delivery and advisement.
- To expand academic program offerings, including new and online degree programs and up-to-date curricula.
- To enhance research and scholarly activities, including the improvement of infrastructure and capabilities.
- To establish more partnerships and collaborations with institutions (both domestic and international), industries and federal agencies.
- To build a model working environment for collaboration and a fulfilling life-journey for employees.