In accordance with requirements of the Tax Relief Act of 1997 the 1098-T tax credit form is intended to provide you with information to assist you in determining your eligibility for possible Hope Scholarship or lifetime learning credits. This tax credit form will be mailed to your permanent address by January 31 each year. If you do not receive your 1098-T tax credit forms, you can obtain a copy at tra.vangent.com.
- If this is your first time obtaining a copy online: Click on 'First Time Users' and complete the registration process.
- We strongly recommend that you consult a tax adviser when determining your qualified amount.
- Box 2 contains 'Qualified tuition and related expenses' for the calendar year. This amount is comprised of all tuition and mandatory fees billed. Billed charges are reported not paid charges.
- Box 4 contains 'Scholarships & Grant' for the calendar year. Examples are, but not limited to, Pell grant, SEOG and EAG.
- If you are classified as an international student, you will not receive a 1098T.
- If your social security number is incorrect on your 1098T,
- Submit your picture ID & a copy of your SSN card to the office of Records & Registration for correction.
- Once the correction is confirmed, submit a written request for a revised 1098T to the office of the Bursar.
You can obtain more information about student loan interest deductions, lifetime learning credit and hope credits from the IRS at www.irs.gov.
- IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education, and Publication 520 Scholarships and Fellowships, are available from the IRS Web site or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM.
CHANGES & UPDATES
2018 1098Ts have been mailed; PLEASE NOTE, these forms contain changes/updates per the IRS.
• In December 2015, Congress eliminated the option for colleges and universities to report "amounts billed" on Internal Revenue Service Form 1098-T. Tuition Statement and mandated the reporting of amount paid in box 1 effective 2018(2018 Tax year). This action necessitated the vast majority of schools to modify their systems to allow them to report amounts paid" for qualified tuition and related expenses.
• Box 2 reporting will not be an option for the 2018 Form.
• Because Box 2 is no longer an option, it will be greyed out on the 2018 form.