Applying to the Graduate Program in Psychometrics
The Graduate Program in Psychometrics admits students in the Fall of each year. Due to the sequencing of required coursework, students will not be accepted for Spring admission. The next available semester for admission is Fall 2021, with an application deadline of January 15, 2021.
Selected applicants may be invited to interview with the Psychometrics Admissions Committee shortly after the application deadlines listed above.
Applicants should ensure their letters of recommendation, transcripts, GRE scores, and all other materials are submitted by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Required Admissions Documentation
Students who wish to apply for a degree in Psychometrics must complete the application process by using the School of Graduate Studies' online portal. All applicants should follow the instructions listed below as well as the instructions described by the School of Graduate Studies' Admissions Policy.
Applicants who do not have a Master's Degree in a quantitative field related to Psychometrics will not be considered for the doctoral program; instead, they should apply to our master's program. Students in the master's program may apply to the doctoral program after their first year of study.
Admission decisions are made by the Psychometrics Admissions Committee and are based on information contained in the prospective students' application. In order to provide the Admissions Committee members with the information they need to make a decision, all applicants are required to submit the documentation listed below. Please use this checklist to ensure you have submitted all the required documentation before the deadline.
1. Evidence of either:
- A Master's degree with a thesis or the equivalent thereof in Psychology, Mathematics, Education, or a related field, from a regionally accredited college or university; OR,
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 in all previous undergraduate and graduate work
2. A formal application to the School of Graduate Studies
3. An official copy of GRE scores that are not more than 5 years old by the date of application
4. Unofficial transcripts for all degrees earned and attempted (Students who are accepted to the program will be required to submit their official transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies for verification.)
5. Three academic letters of recommendation
6. A writing sample that has been authored solely by the applicant (no papers by multiple authors, please):
- Applicants with a Master's degree should submit an original research paper or manuscript from the master's program.
- Applicants without a Master's degree should submit a writing sample or original research paper from their undergraduate major.
7. An essay not to exceed three single-spaced pages regarding the applicant's research interests, academic and professional plans, and the reasons for selecting Psychometrics and Morgan State University.
8. Students for whom instruction has not been in English must submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
General Advice on the Application Process
- The deadline listed above is very important, so please plan ahead to ensure all of your documentation is submitted the School of Graduate Studies on time. We cannot review materials that are submitted after the deadline.
- Final admission decisions rest on a number of factors including applicant qualifications and faculty availability.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to provide applicants who are declined admission with the reason(s) they were not accepted into the program.
- In order to strengthen your application, we recommend the following to prospective students:
- Plan ahead and keep track of all deadlines so your materials arrive on time.
- Discuss your application and career aspirations with a trusted academic adviser or mentor who is familiar with graduate study and the field of psychometrics.
- Visit the American Psychological Association's web page devoted to Applying to Graduate School. There, you will find a lot of useful information. You may also want to visit other websites for additional advice and information.
- Familiarize yourself with the field of Psychometrics. This article provides a good example of what psychometricians do. There are many other examples, so please explore the field even further.