Dr. Jeremiah Dibua
- Professor and Interim Chair
- Office Location:
- 223 BSSC
Modern Africa; African-Diaspora; African development and public policy
Ph.D. History - Univ. of Benin
M.A. History - Univ. of Ibadan
B.A. History - Univ. of Ibadan
Undergraduate: Africa to 1875; Africa since 1870; African Diplomatic History; Intro to the African Diaspora
Graduate: White Supremacy and Black Nationalism in the US, Brazil, & South Africa; Advanced Readings in the African Diaspora
Select Publications (full CV here)
- Development and Diffusionism: Looking Beyond Nepatrimonialism in Nigeria, 1962-1985 (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
- "Africanists, Neo-Weberism and the Pervasive Eurocentrism in the Analysis of African Development Trajectory," in History Unlimited: Essays in Honour of Professor Abednego Ekoko, ed. L.E. Otoide (Mindex Publishing Co., 2012), 305-24.
- "Ethnic Citizenship, Federal Character and Inter-Group Relations in Post-Colonial Nigeria," Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria 20 (2011): 1-25.
- "Civil Rights Movement," "Eurocentrism," "Mali Empire," and "State," in The Oxford Encyclopedia of African Thought, eds. F.A. Irele and B. Jeyifo, 2 vols. (Oxford, 2010), I.240-45; I.363-65; II.94-96; II.357-59.
- Modernization and the Crisis of Development in Africa: the Nigerian Experience (Ashgate Publishers, 2006).
- "Citizenship and Resource Control in Nigeria: the Case of the Minority Communities in the Niger Delta," Afrika Spectrum 39:1 (2005): 5-28.
- "Nigeria: Conferences, Commissions and the Nigerian Constitution, 1956-60" (pp. 1107-9); "Nigeria: Murtala Muhammed, Obasanjo and Return to Civilian Rule, 1975-79 (pp. 1115-17); "Nigeria: Second Republic, 1979-83" (pp. 1117-18); "Nigeria: from Opposition in the 1990s to the Fourth Republic" (pp. 1123-25); and "World Bank, IMF and Structural Adjustment" (pp. 1664-66); in Encyclopedia of African History, Vol. 2, ed. K. Shillington (New York, 2005).
- "Conflict over Control of Natural Resources in Nigeria: the Case of the Oil-Producing Niger Delta Communities of the South-South States, 1990-2004," Lagos Historical Review 4 (2004): 142-72.
- "Students and the Struggle against Authoritarianism in University Governance in Nigeria," in African Universities in the Twenty-First Century, eds. T. Zeleza and A. Olukoshi (Dakar, 2004), 459-79.
- "Collapse of Purpose: Ibrahim Babangida, 1985-1993," in Troubled Journey: Nigeria since the Civil War, eds. L.A. Nwachuku and G.N. Uzoigwe (Lanham, MD, 2004), 207-35.
- Co-author (w/B. Ibhawoh), "Deconstructing Ujamaa: the Legacy of Julius Nyerere in the Quest for Social and Economic Development in Africa," African Journal of Political Science 8:1 (2003): 59-83.
- "The Organization of African Unity and Conflict Resolution" (pp. 341-61); and "Economic Crisis and Structual Adjustment Programs" (pp. 509-29), in Africa, vol. 5: Contemporary Africa, ed. T. Falola (Durham, NC, 2003), 341-61.
- "Agricultural Modernization, the Environment and Sustainable Production in Nigeria, 1970-85," African Economic History 30 (2002): 107-37.
- "Pan-Africanism," in Africa, vol. 4: the End of Colonial Rule, ed. T. Talola (Durham, 2002), 29-48.
- "Devaluation and Economic Crisis: a Political Economy Analysis," in The Transformation of Nigeria, ed. A.O. Oyebade (Trenton, 2002), 261-88.