Dr. Francis Dube
- Associate Professor
- Office Location:
- 309 BSSC
Africa; history of medicine and public health; environmental history
Ph.D. in History - Univ. of Iowa
M.A. in History - Univ. of Iowa
B. A. in Economic History - Univ. of Zimbabwe
Undergraduate: Africa to 1875, Africa since 1870, World History I & II, Introduction to the Social Sciences; The Environmental Crisis in Historical Perspective; World History I (Online)
Graduate: The Environmental Crisis in Historical Perspective; Thesis Seminar; Colonial & Contemporary Sub-Saharan Africa
- Borderline Public Health: African Experiences at the Zimbabwe-Mozambique Border, 1890-1940, (manuscript in progress).
- "Implications of border-making and border-crossing for the control of livestock diseases in colonial Southern Africa, 1890-1960," Revista de Estudios Africanos (forthcoming, September 2019).
- "Public Health at the Zimbabwean Border: Medicalizing Migrants and Contesting Colonial Institutions, 1890-1960." Histoire sociale/Social history 52, no. 105 (2019): 93-108. https://muse.jhu.edu/
- "‘In the Border Regions of the Territory of Rhodesia, There Is the Greatest Scourge...': The Border and East Coast Fever Control in Central Mozambique and Eastern Zimbabwe, 1901-1942," Journal of Southern African Studies 41, 2 (2015): 219-235.
- "Medicine without Borders: the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions in central Mozambique and eastern Zimbabwe, 1893-1920s," OFO: Journal of Transatlantic Studies 4, 2 (2014): 21-38.
- "Public Health and Racial Segregation in South Africa: Mahatma (M. K) Gandhi Debates Colonial Authorities on Public Health Measures, 1896-1904." Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria 21 (2012): 21-40.
- Review of Eric Allina, Slavery By Any Other Name: African Life under Company Rule in Colonial Mozambique (Charlottesville, VA: UVA Press, 2012). History: Reviews of New Books 41, 2 (2013): 63-64.