Dr. Alexander Pavuk
- Assistant Professor
- Office Location:
- 340 BSSC
Science and religion; American intellectual and cultural history; American religious history
Ph.D., M.A. History - Univ. of Delaware
M.A. History - Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County
B.A. History - Colgate Univ.
Courses: History of Science and Technology; Religion and American History; History of the U.S. I & II; World History I & II
- "The American Association for the Advancement of Science Committee on Evolution and the Scopes Trial: Race, Eugenics, and Public Science in the U.S.A." Historical Research 91:251 (2018): 137-159.
- "Biologist Edwin Grant Conklin and the Idea of the Religious Direction of Human Evolution in the Early 1920s," Annals of Science 74:1 (2017): 64-82.
- "Catholic Birth Control? Father John O'Brien, Rhythm, and Progressive American Catholicism in 1930s Contraception Discourse," U.S. Catholic Historian 34:1 (Winter 2016): 53-76.
- "Evolution and Voices of Progressive Catholicism in the Age of the Scopes Trial," Religion and American Culture 26:1 (Winter 2016): 101-137.
- "No Immigrants or Radicals Need Apply: Varieties of Nativism in 1920s America," in Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Warren G. Harding, Calvin Coolidge, and Herbert Hoover, ed. K. Sibley (Wiley-Blackwell, 2014).
- "History of Science and Religion Today" [review essay], History: Reviews of New Books 39:2 (April 2011): 37-40.
- "Vaclav Havel" and "Linus Pauling," in The Modern Age, 1900-2000: Biographical Dictionary of Western Culture, ed. J. Nordgren (EBSCO: Literary Reference Center Plus, 2009), 369-370 and 643-645.
- "Constructing a Catholic Church out of Thin Air: Catholic Hour's Early Years on NBC Radio," American Catholic Studies 118:4 (Winter 2007): 37-67.