MARCH 31, 2017
SEPTEMBER 18-22, 2017
School of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences
Office of the Provost
ASCEND Center for Biomedical Research
SCMNS is proud to announce the graduation of seven graduate students (four female students and three male students) who earned their M.A. degrees in Mathematics in the December 16, 2016 graduation ceremonies. Six of the students are international students from Saudi Arabia, and one student is local from the city of Baltimore. Their research projects varied across topics and reflected the breadth of study in the department. Their project titles and advisors were as follows:
- Ms. Razan Albarqi: Contributions of Non-oil Sector in Economic Growth in KSA: Time Series Analysis, Advisor: Dr. Ashraf Ahmed
- Ms. Maha Alkobali: Structural Equation Model of Labor Force Participation in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Advisor: Dr. Ashraf Ahmed
- Mr. Khalid Almnesi: Application of Log-log Model in Analyzing of Life Expectancy in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Advisor: Dr. Ashraf Ahmed
- Ms. Sarah Alqannas: Application of Poisson Regression Model in Analyzing the Infant and Child Mortality in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Advisor: Dr. Ashraf Ahmed
- Mr. Abdullah Alqarni: Mathematical Modeling of Zika Virus in the US, Dr. Najat Ziyadi
- Ms. Amal Alshehri: Statistical Analysis of Economic Development and Selection of Its Predictive Model in the KSA, Advisor: Dr. Ashraf Ahmed
- Mr. Christopher Gaines: An Efficient Algorithm for Computing the Nearest Correlation Matrix by Using Tony Chan's Preconditioner Advisor: Dr. Mingchao Cai
Associate Professor of Mathematics Jonathan Farley interviewed for article by GoodCall.com, "HBCUs Take Different Approaches to STEM Partnerships"
Congratulations to Dr. Woodson for winning a $125,000 Grant from NSA!
SCMNS Welcome 84 Transfer Students.
Students collect top awards at UMBC conference
Morgan's MTIDES organized the FALL 2016 Faculty Professional Development Workshop
Morgan's Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM (MTIDES), organized the FALL 2016 Faculty Professional Development Workshop on "R and Parallel R" on August 18, 2016. Over twenty five faculty members and a few doctoral students from across Morgan State University and other regional universities attended the workshop. Mr. Dave Walling from Texas Advanced Computing Center provided training on the basics of R and running R jobs in High Performance Computing environments. A post-workshop survey indicated a high degree of satisfaction with the workshop. Additional hands-on faculty workshops will be held during 2016-2017 academic year.
Actuarial Science Students Awarded Actuarial Diversity Scholarships
Three Actuarial Science majors - Rodrigue Djikeuchi, Sika Dzidzonu, and Turayo Tijani - have bee named 2016-17 recipients of the Actuarial Foundation Actuarial Diversity Scholarship. Morgan State was one of the three universities tied for having the most scholarship winners among this year's awardees. Actuarial Science major and Travelers EDGE scholar, Torrance Allen, was selected to participate in a film documenting the 10 years that the EDGE scholarship program has been in existence. The documentary will be shown at the Travelers EDGE 10th Anniversary Symposium in fall 2017.
Ph.D. Program in Bioenvironmental Science produces two graduates, Congratulations, Dr. Akinyele Oni (Akers) and Dr. Belygona Barare (Aslan)(May 2016).
SCMNS MS Programs produce a total of 10 graduates (Fall 2015 and Spring 2016).
The Aslan Research Group was awarded a Phase 2 Maryland Innovation Initiative (MII) grant from TEDCO based on Morgan's first patented technology, which resulted in the formation of Morgan's first ever university start-up company iCrystal, Inc. (March 2015).
Morgan State University 24th Annual Undergraduate and Graduate Symposium
Welcome page and SCMNS highlights
The mission and goals of SCMNS
Faculty and Staff who work out of the Office of the Dean
List of all departments and professional programs
SCMNS Graduate Programs
Details on all high school iniatiatives coordinated through SCMNS
Research and industry internship/fellowship opportunities for students
List of all research programs and opportunities in SCMNS
Details of the SCMNS Honors program
Other Academic Programs