2012-089 NANO-MAGNETS AND NANO-WIRES SYSTHESIS AND CHARACTERIZATION POST-DOC
Nano-magnets and Nano-wires Synthesis and Characterization Post-Doc
Department of Physics and Engineering Physics, Morgan State University -Dereje Seifu
The Department of Physic at Morgan State University offers a postdoctoral position to support a research program on nano-magnets and nano-wires synthesis and characterization. The appointee will perform synthesis and characterization and will be responsible for operation of key equipment in the research laboratory for nano-materials and other characterization instrumentation in the Department. The Department of Physics and Engineering Physics is located within the School of Computer Mathematical and Natural Sciences (SCMNS which is comprised of five departments and two professional programs. The SCMNS at Morgan offers eight bachelor's, three master's, and two doctoral degrees.
· Synthesis and characterization of carbon nanotubes, magnetic materials filled CNTs, two-dimensional nanomaterials for electronics, magnetic, and thermoelectric applications with a high safety standard.
· With the PI plan perform experiments to understand the dependence of magnetic properties of multilayer magnetic films and related materials on crystal structure, composition, and thickness and growth conditions.
· Investigate the underling science of electrical and thermal transport in these materials.
· Operate and maintain sample preparation and characterization instrumentation. Nanotube reactor, sputtering system, magneto-optic Kerr effect, vibrating sample magneto-meter (VSM), torque magnetometer, scanning electron microscope (SEM), atomic force microscope (AFM), magnetic force microscope (MFM), x-ray diffraction, and physical properties measurements system (PPMS). Responsible for day to day operation of the laboratory.
· Communicate research progress to the PI, and report results externally through conference presentations and peer reviewed publications.
· Experience in the use of advanced X-ray techniques and/or neutron scattering characterization of materials at synchrotron light sources or at the neutron sources such as NSLS at Brookhaven National Laboratory and/or Neutron Scattering Laboratory at NIST center for neutron research.
· Assist the PI in mentoring of graduate and undergraduate assistants in the laboratory.
Note: This is a one-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal for up to 3 years based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and on-going operational needs.
Morgan State University is the premier public urban research university in Maryland known for its excellence in teaching, intensive research, effective public service, and community engagement. Morgan prepares diverse and competitive graduates for success in a global, interdependent society.
PLEASE SEND YOUR RESUME TO:
Dr. Dereje Seifu
Department of Physics
Morgan State University
Baltimore, MD 21251
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org