REIMBURSEMENT OF MOVING EXPENSES GUIDE
- Reimbursement for moving expenses can be offered only to individuals with extraordinary credentials and/or experience or to candidates in critical fields of demand. The new eligible employee must relocate at least 50 miles from their prior address.
- Recommendations to pay qualified moving expenses for eligible persons should be submitted in writing as follows:
Recommendations for moving expenses reimbursements for faculty appointments should be submitted by the appropriate Dean or Associate Vice President to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs as a part of the appointment recommendation package. If approved, the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs will submit the recommendation to the President. If approved, the official offer will be issued in writing by the President and will be included with the appointment letter.
Recommendations for moving expenses reimbursements for administrative appointments will be submitted to the President by the area Vice President. If approved, the official offer will be issued in writing by the President and will be included with the appointment letter.
- Moving expense reimbursement will be limited to the cost of moving household items only. Excluded from allowable expenses are the following:
- Packing and Unpacking
- Hotel/Motel Lodging
- Transporting Automobiles
- Personal Transportation
- “House Hunting”
- Pets or any costs associated with the transportation or kenneling of domestic pets
*If the employee resigns within twelve (12) months of his/her appointment, he/she will be required to reimburse the University for the cost of reimbursed moving expenses.
- Morgan State University will reimburse approved moving expenses up to $3,500 regardless of fund source. Exceptions to this level can be made by the President.
- Funds have been set aside by the Budget Office in the Banner Index 110300 Account 04031 to cover approved reimbursements from generally funded areas. If the expenses are to be paid from a grant or auxiliary source, authorization must be obtained from the Office of Sponsored Programs or the Office of Business Services. Once the reimbursement is approved at all appropriate levels, the request for reimbursement will be forwarded by the area Vice President to the Vice President for Finance and Management for processing.
- Morgan State University will only issue reimbursement to the individual candidate. Payments will not be made directly to a moving company or any other third party vendor.