University Writing Center: Cultivating the Writer in You
The Latest News From The Writing Center
The Writing Center is now open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. by appointment or walk-in!
Join the Writing Center Abroad as the Writing Team prepares to travel to the Dominican Republic March 21-28, 2015 to tutor the children of Monte Christi in writing, oral presentations in English, and preparing for college. All students, faculty, staff, and the global community are
welcome to travel. For more information, please visit the website at http://www.efcollegestudytours.com/professors-trip/1515350TE
Save $150.00 today if you register for the trip before October 4, 2014.
- The Writing Center now provides online tutoring! Please email Monique.Akassi@morgan.edu to schedule an online tutoring session.
Under the auspices of the Department of English and Language Arts, the mission of the Morgan State University Writing Center is to support undergraduate and graduate students from all academic disciplines to become more effective and confident writers. It is a place where students may come to discuss their work, clarify their ideas, and improve their writing skills.
According to Leigh Ryan (University of Maryland), tutoring is a collaborative activity. Ryan believes the most successful sessions are achieved by preparing for the visit:
First, schedule an appointment in advance of your assignment's due date. Second, think about what you need from a session and make some notes. For example, list specific questions you have about your paper. Third, bring with you a copy of your assignment sheet and any related notes, handouts, articles, or textbooks. Fourth, bring any other writing you may have connected to the assignment, like drafts, notes, free writing, journal entries, or peer review comments.
Due to limited resources, walk-ins are discouraged and appointments are required. Schedule a one-on-one tutorial session by sending an email to email@example.com with your availability. Please note:
- If you are more than 10 minutes late, your appointment WILL BE canceled.
- Appointments last no longer than 30 minutes and numerous, back-to-back scheduling, is not permitted.
- If the session is for a group assignment, please let us know in advance so that accommodations may be made.
Writing Center Team
Mrs. Abosede Gbenga Akinbiola, Writing Fellow
Ms. Taelor Clay, Writing Tutor
Ms. Crystal Brown-Helem, Administrative Assistant
Dr. Monique Leslie Akassi, Director of The Writing Center
Now hiring tutors for the Writing Center!
Interested? Please contact:
Dr. Monique Akassi
We would like to make your experience in the Writing Center as educational and pleasurable as possible. To that end, please note the following Writing Center Policies:
- Students must bring with them 2 hard copies of their document/composition and one hard copy of the assignment as written by the instructor.
- Students who are late will forfeit their appointments.