University Writing Center: Cultivating the Critical Thinker, Writer, Reader, Researcher, and Public Speaker in You
The Latest News From The Writing Center
- The Writing Center is now open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. by appointment, online, or walk-in!
- Every Tuesday from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. the University Writing Center will provide our Critical Writing, Thinking, Reading, Research, and Speaking Across The Curriculum Workshop Series in the Earl S. Ruichardson Library, Room 119. All workshops are free and open to Morgan State University and the global community. Please click on the Writing Center Workshops page for a detailed list of topics covered in each weekly session.
Under the auspices of the Department of English and Language Arts, the mission of the Morgan State University Writing Center is to support undergraduate and graduate students from all academic disciplines to become more effective and confident writers and communicators. It is a place where students may come to discuss their work, clarify their ideas, and improve their critical thinking, writing, reading, research, and public speaking skills.
According to Leigh Ryan (University of Maryland), tutoring is a collaborative activity. Ryan believes the most successful sessions are achieved by preparing for the visit:
First, schedule an appointment in advance of your assignment's due date. Second, think about what you need from a session and make some notes. For example, list specific questions you have about your paper. Third, bring with you a copy of your assignment sheet and any related notes, handouts, articles, or textbooks. Fourth, bring any other writing you may have connected to the assignment, like drafts, notes, free writing, journal entries, or peer review comments.
Although we have accept walk-ins, appointments are preferred. Schedule a one-on-one tutorial session by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your availability. Please note:
- If you are more than 10 minutes late, your appointment WILL BE canceled.
- Appointments last no longer than 60 minutes per session.
- If the session is for a group assignment, please let us know in advance so that accommodations may be made.
- If you are requesting online tutoring with a tutor or fellow, please send your paper, assignment, and specific request to email@example.com. We will provide feedback, comments, and suggestions by the end of the following work day.
We would like to make your experience in the Writing Center as educational and pleasurable as possible. To that end, please note the following Writing Center Policies:
- Students must bring with them 2 hard copies of their document/composition and one hard copy of the assignment as written by the instructor.
- Students who are more than 10 minuts late will forfeit their appointments.