The university supports the rights of persons to self-expression, dissent, and to demonstrate provided that demonstrations are lawful, do not disrupt normal university activities, or do not infringe upon the rights of others. Most demonstrations are peaceful. People who are not involved in protests should attempt to carry on business as usual if safe to do so. It is the illegal acts, which may arise during these activities that concern the university.
If protests disrupt normal university activities, result in damage to university buildings or grounds, or threaten the safety of others:
- Remain calm.
- Notify the University Police at EXT. 3103.
- Avoid obstructing or provoking protestors.
- Notify your supervisor.
- Alert all persons in the area of the situation.
- If prudent, lock doors and windows and close blinds to prevent flying glass.
- If necessary to evacuate, follow the directions of responding University Police.
- If evacuated, meet at the predetermined evacuation location and wait for additional instructions and information