Working Fund/Student Exchange Fund

The Working Fund is administered to provide limited payments for small emergency purchases, travel expenses and salary advances to employees who did not receive their paycheck in a timely manner. The Student Exchange Fund is used as a depository for clearance of Federal Student Loan checks and checks drawn on foreign banks. These functions are located in the Montebello Complex, A-Wing - Room 216. All Working Fund and Student Exchange Fund disbursements are processed based on the availability of funds. The following is a brief overview of the different types of Working Fund disbursements:

  • Emergency Purchases - (Link: Purchases of this nature are reserved for rare occasions in which circumstances could significantly affect the daily operation of the University, if the purchase is not made. All emergency purchase requests must be made on the 'Morgan State University Request for Emergency Disbursement' form. Emergency disbursements will only be considered if the vendor will not accept a purchase order or purchasing card.)
  • Travel Advances - (Link: Travel advances are considered upon receipt of an approved Individual Request for Approval of Out-of-State Travel (Comp01) with the Travel Advance box checked. The completed and signed Individual Request for Approval of Out-of-State Travel (Comp01) is submitted to the Comptroller's Office General Accounting section for approval. Employees should process authorized registration fees and lodging expenses through a purchase order or a University purchasing card, thereby minimizing the amount of advance necessary. All employees are required to make common carrier travel arrangements through the  University's designated  travel  agency. Advances will not be given for airplane or train tickets. The travel advance check will be available up to 3 business days before the departure date. Employees incurring authorized travel expenses must submit a State of Maryland Expense Account Form (GAD X-5) to the Comptroller's Office within five days subsequent to the last day of the trip. Original receipts, supporting the reimbursement request, must be attached to the completed and signed original GAD-X-5 form. Please see the Travel section for more details on these forms.)

Salary Advances - Please contact the Payroll Office regarding qualifications for salary advances. If approved, the Payroll staff will notify the recipient (employee) when the advance check will be available in the Comptroller's Office (Montebello, room 212A). Since salary advances are not deducted from the employee's payroll check, the employee is to give a  personal check at the time the salary advance is received.  If the employee does not have personal checks, the employee must repay the payroll advance via cash or money order to the University's Bursar's Office cashier within 3 working days of being paid and deliver the repayment receipt to the Working Fund Office (Montebello - Room 216A.)