Banner is a web-based, administrative software application managed by Ellucian specifically for higher education institutions. Banner provides data through an online environment that allows University employees and students to perform various functions in a highly effective manner that is totally integrated and shared among departments across the University. There is only one Banner database but two distinct ways to view the data:
I. Self-Service Banner, which we call WebSIS, is a user-friendly online tool that allows for management of personal and academic information. The majority of University employees and all students use Self-Service Banner.
II. Internet Native Banner, known as INB is a more robust online tool, typically restricted to department heads (e.g., Vice Presidents, Deans, Chairpersons, and Directors) who require a good deal of detailed information. The level of access to Internet Native Banner is determined by the Banner Data Custodians.
BANNER DATA CUSTODIANS
Since Banner is an integrated system, each area has assigned one individual to serve as the Data Custodian of departmental data. Data Custodians are responsible for deciding a user's level of Banner access for navigation and reporting purposes. The data custodians are as follows:
• Student Records - Paul Thompson (Paul.Thompson@morgan.edu)
• Admissions - Shonda Gray-Cain (Shonda.Gray@morgan.edu)
• Financial Aid - Tanya Wilkerson (Tanya.Wilkerson@morgan.edu)
• Billing and Receivables - Moni Tenabe (Moni.Tenabe@morgan.edu)
• Human Resources - Armada Grant (Armada.Grant@morgan.edu)
• Finance - Patrick O'Brien (Patrick.Obrien@morgan.edu)
• Housing - Christina Jones (Christina.Jones@morgan.edu)
These guidelines provide recommendations for establishing measures for the protection, access, and use of Morgan State University data that is electronically maintained on the Banner system. The guidelines define the responsibilities of users who input and access that data. Divisions/departments may have individual guidelines that supplement, but do not replace or supersede these guidelines.
INTERNET NATIVE BANNER (INB) TRAINING AND TUTORIALS
Some INB training is provided in face-to-face sessions while other training is available on-line. You must have Banner access PRIOR to attending face-to-face Banner training sessions since you will need your INB username and password for training purposes.
University INB Training Contacts
• Student Records - Stacey Tyson, ext. 3599
• Academic Budget - Sharon Oliver-Whitehurst, ext. 4681
• Finance & Procurement - Lois Whitaker, ext. 3966
• Budgets - Bickram Janak, ext. 3587
• Purchase Card - Shena Donovan, ext. 4565